(and Other Spatial Acts of Resistance)
An exercise in place-making:
1. Chase former evil dwellers.
2. Remove dirt.
3. Dig a hole, place salt in it.
4. Cover the hole with soil.
5. Draw a circle of hot ashes within the limit of the cleared space.
6. Have three priests gather around it with a bucket of water in the middle.
7. Mix coarse salt in the water.
8. Pray over the water, simultaneously sprinkling it around.
– Sumayya Vally
In Collective Wakes (and Other Spatial Acts of Resistance), the third episode of StorefrontTV Season 3 by Storefront for Art and Architecture, we present a choreography of “wakes,” both difficult and celebratory.
Drawing upon literary and scholarly works as well as historical and contemporary imagery from public gatherings and advocacy movements, Collective Wakes explores what it means to maintain community over time.